Friday, October 17, 2008

First years would prefer being at home to being on campus

No, no, no ways. First year students would not even think about being at home, can’t you see they love living on campus? Honestly speaking, looking at the number of first year students that reside on campus, it makes me proud of being a young student that has taken the bold step of stepping out of my warm home where everything is done for me by my mother and not forgetting my older brother that’s always there to fight my battles. With this assurance, love and protection I was reluctant to leave home and live on campus. Unlike other students that were forced by their parents to move out of home because it was time for them be independent, for me and many other first year students it was a decision we made against our mother’s will. I am saying this because I am first year student myself therefore I know what I am talking about do not even try to question my knowledge about the subject.

When I arrived here I was shocked to find out the number of first year students that were happy and willing to move out and live life on their own without their parents looking out for them. They were willing to be independent although most of them have never been out their parent’s sight for more than a year. This signaled to me a great deal of responsibility that first year students take upon themselves. Home had become boring and dull. It had become a routine. The routine geared them up for a new challenge and adventure. It was time to spread their wings and fly solo. Independence and growth are common words that come from most first year students, there are a few number of those that I speak to that were forced out of their parents houses because they had become a burden and were too old to be living at home. I must admit that it takes guts and courage to decide to move away from all the people you have known you all of your life, people that have shaped your character and know all there is to know about you.

First year students are blamed most of the time for being immature but that’s what they are. They are in the most important stage of their youth, soon they will make big decisions about their future so it is important that they become those kids whilst they have time to. Life has its own its stages, although those that have long passed this stage rebuke it by saying that time is wasted on the youth. They are led to say this by the mere fact that it was probably the only time in their academic careers where they had to do as they pleased and went out almost every night. For this reason they argue that first year students should still be under the watchful eye of their parents. We cannot run away from the fact that this is also a time for us to experiment and do things that we can do while we have time to do them away from home so we can learn what our parents cannot teach us and that is living and embracing the most important gift they gave us that is life.

I applaud first year students for taking that important step to live on campus instead of home. It is hard to fight your battles on your own and stand up for yourself at such a tender stage. It is probably harder for those that come afar to come to such a small campus and live and bring vibe and life to this campus. First years students of 2008 living on campus are the future!!!!!

1 comment:

Potatoe Demon said...

Listen. I understand what you are saying. And I'm not going to pretend like I do not agree just for the sake of starting an argument, thats just not me. But I think you generalise a little too much when laying down some of your arguments for first years enjoying being away from home.

There are plenty of first year students, including myself who would not mind being back home. That is not to say I do not love being on campus. I really do. I left Pretoria, including all my friends and family (just like everyone else) to come to Rhodes out of my own free will too.

But there are people who do not fit into this generalisation. Some people really do not want to be here. Here at Rhodes we have people freaking out, people that do not, can not or will not adjust to the changes: the new freedoms, the new responsibilities, the new everything. We live in a small town with five or six thousand strangers nearby at every second. Some people get stressed, some people get claustraphobic and a lot of people get very, very, homesick. There are those who are depressed and borderline suicidal, there are people that binge drink and take drugs simply to escape the otherwise lovely scenery of this tiny, tiny town. This is why we have Student Counselling Centres and more indirectly, The Sanatorium.

There are those of us who love being on campus. But there are people who do not cope as well, and there is nothing wrong with that. They may be a minority as far as we know, but that does not mean they do not exist. So just throw them a mention and some happy thoughts next time round instead of generalising :)

Much love and Joyfulness,
- "The Benjamin"
http://CombatGuide2Uni.blogspot.com/