Sunday, October 19, 2008

Alcoholica

Before I came to Rhodes, I had heard about the amount of drinking that went on at this place. 'The highest alcohol consumption per capita' they said. I also had heard loads of 'scary' stories about alcohol, like the one that you had to drink a whole bottle of vodka on your first night, or about how much of a killer the Cane Train was. I was both frightened and excited to find out if the rumours were exaggerated or were in fact true. I knew that I was keen to come and test for myself the 'Rhodent Booze Theory', and have a crazy party at the same time. When I got here I came to the realisation that the rumours were both unfounded and true, at the same time. I realised that I could group the Rhodes population into three groups, 'The People Who Don't Drink', 'The People Who Drink', and 'The People Who Drink Drink Drink Drink Drink.'

The People Who Don't Drink: Now this group is without a doubt the smallest and least popular of the groups, and consists only of the seriously hardcore religious fanatics, and that one guy who got liver poisoning in matric and can't drink any more. All in all, it comes to about 20 people. That says a lot about the drinking at Rhodes, doesn't it? These guys prefer to hang around at cafe's drinking tea and trying to convert people to Christianity with their 'friendly-but-totally-serious-about-Jesus' approach, or in the case of 'that one guy', hang out with everyone else, coolly sipping a coke, wishing it had just a pinch of Jack Daniels in it. Indeed, you wouldn't even realise these people existed at Rhodes, after hearing the rumours.

The People Who Drink: I'm pretty sure I fit into this group. I mean I'm definitely not a paying member of the previous group, and there's no chance I fit into the next one. This group probably makes up the majority of Rhodes students. The guys and gals here usually go out 2-4 times a week, naturally drinking every night but maybe getting drunk on one to two of those nights. Sure, they drink to have fun, or maybe they just like beer. I know I do both. You can usually catch these guys sitting at the Rat and Parrot, or any one of Grahamstown's other prestigious watering holes, with either beer or cider in front of them, talking the night away with friends. On a party night, however, you'll probably find them with some hard liquor, such as cane or vodka, being generally rowdy and good-spirited. Just having fun. This is what I kind of expected Rhodes to be like, I just wasn't fully prepared for the final and most extreme of the drinker categories;

The People Who Drink Drink Drink Drink Drink: Where do I even start on this species? When these guys aren't getting absolutely trashed out of their bracket at Friars or The Union (sorry, I mean the Biko), they're suffering through a hangover and talking about the insane night before (well, what they can remember of it), or planning their next big phuza. Yup, its that bad, and I'm not even exaggerating, believe it or not. They might possibly be verging on alcoholics, since it's apparent that they need alcohol to have a good time. Invite them somewhere where there's no booze, and you'll be greeted with upturned noses and shrieks of "Screw this, lets go get waaaasteeeeeed!!". And the sad thing is, there's a lot more of these people than you want at an academic institution like Rhodes. Sure you're allowed to have fun while doing shots and down-downs, but there's no need for the utter dependency on it, up until the point of insanity.

So, are the rumours true? Yes and No. A huge majority of the university partake in the drinking game, but the fact of the matter is that some people go just a tad too far. Come on, people, lets have some substance-free fun for once. Somehow I just don't see this happening. 'The highest alcohol consumption per capita'? I can believe it.

5 comments:

Simon said...

Alcohol plays a huge role in society here at Rhodes, whether you choose to accept it or not. This is due to the fact that with our relatively limited social scene and claustrophobic surroundings, students have to resort to chemical stimulation for enjoyment. If Grahamstown was home to a decent club with reasonable drinks specials, this would cut down on the “pre-drinking” culture that I myself resort to on a weekly basis.
On a broader note, drinking is part and parcel of the student lifestyle, irrespective of location. Students will drink to the point of destruction, as they celebrate their new found independence. I’m not advocating permanent liver damage, don’t get me wrong. But these are the years in which we will drink more so than at any other part of our lives. Unless you become that tramp sitting on a park bench clutching a bottle of turpentine. Then again if you are that man, drinking is the least of your problems.
I enjoyed reading your article; it provided something which I could relate to. Nice work. (Seriously)

Schweet................ Si.

Clarkson 2.0 said...

i enjoyed your opinion post, i thought fun and witty, however i have to disagree with on two points! the first is the third catagory, i say let them drink, there is not not too many of them if anything more would be great; my reasoning behind this is that the more drunkards there are the higher the chance of them failing, leaving people like me who would be placed in the second catagory to take their place in the following year. secondly, i think alcohol is good when your out, time flies, you have an awesome evening and you all have something in common and that is alcohol. Alcohol gives you a license to be insane and i always said, why be conservative when you can get away with absolute insanity!

Trace said...

In your opinion piece, you categorise ALL Rhodes students into 3 groups. Don’t you think that it’s a little unfair and fairly stereotypical?

Yes, I agree with you that there are those who are “hardcore” drinkers, those who drink moderately and those who don’t drink at all. I have to disagree with you though, when you imply that everything at Rhodes revolves around alcohol. For some students, not everything is about booze and getting trashed on a Tuesday night. Sure, it’s fun to experience it a few times, but it gets monotonous and to put it plainly – stupid.

Next time you go out, look around. How many third years or fourth years do you see gyrating on Friar’s floor? Sure, there will be some, but the majority of the senior students have found other means of entertainment. This may be a generalization, but in the spirit if generalizing, those drunken idiots you see passed out on a Monday night are bound to be first or second year students.
Granted, there is not much more to do in Grahamstown than to go out and get drunk, but I promise, if you look hard enough, you can always find something to do that is just as fun and not as alcohol-revolved. Before you think that I am some non-drinker, let me tell you that I enjoy going out and having a drink or five just as much as the next Rhodes student, I just believe that your social life at Rhodes does not have to revolve around alcohol if you choose for it not to be.

(Ps I really did like your opinion piece – you put up a very good argument :) )

Bubbles said...

I must agree with you when you say that alcohol forms a sort of society at Rhodes University. Rhodes has had 100 years to build up a reputation of wild drinking - drinking so extreme that our own Dean of Students is waging war with the local bars. The DoS, I believe, is fighting a losing battle. Ever hear of the theory that when you tell someone not to do something, they immdeiately go and do it? Rhodes aside, alcohol forms bonds between students at any university (and most high schools these days too). I do disagree with your generalisation of those who do not drink - some of my closest friends are Christians and drink more than the whole of Smuts. But a good stereotyoe nontheless... :)

Starfish said...

Alcoholically correct.
I agree with your views in this post because not only have I found them to be true in theory, they are true in practice. I like the idea that your post actually takes into account all the different kinds of people who are at Rhodes instead of being stereotypical. Your post is a good example of how journalism can actually look at different perspectives. Not only does it relate to the outside world by letting them in on the reality of the situation, but it also relates to all students at Rhodes and prospective students.
However it also seems to imply that there is something wrong with being a Christian and non-drinking student. When in all truth and reality there is not .Because not everyone who does not drink wishes that their coke had “just a pint of Jack Daniels.” I share the same sentiments and realise that the students who drink the most begin to depend on the alcohol for entertainment at Rhodes. In a related post a survey carried out showed that the level of alcohol consumption could result in serious social and medical consequences in life. This should make students aware of what could happen if they overindulge in binge drinking.